OceanSide church of Christ
|Previous||Return to Sermons||Next|
THE RIGHT MEDICATION
Victor M. Eskew
A. Isaiah 1:5-6
Why should ye be stricken any more: ye will revolt more and more: the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint. From the sole of the foot even unto the head, there is no soundness in it; but wounds, and bruises, and putrifying sores: they have not been closed, neither bound up, neither mollified with ointment.
1. The picture of Israel is that of a diseased individual.
2. Israel is sick through and through, head and heart.
3. Israel is sick from bottom to top: soles of the feet to the top of the head.
4. Nothing is sound.
5. Wound, bruises, and putrifying sores
B. The name of the sickness is sin. Unfortunately, all have contracted it (Rom. 3:23; see Ps. 41:4).
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.
C. Man stands in need of some very powerful medication.
1. The Great Physician has it (Matt. 9:12; Mark 2:17; Luke 5:31).
2. The medication is the precious, powerful blood of Jesus Christ. It, and it alone, is “The Right Medication.”
3. Song: There Is A Fountain.
I. THIS MEDICATION ALWAYS HEALS
A. There are times when prescribed medications do not heal. (Ex., I had a sinus infection and had 2 ZPacks and a round of steroids).
B. This is not the case with the blood of Christ. It always heals when it is applied.
1. Zechariah 13:1
In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and uncleanness.
2. Ephesians 1:7
In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace.
3. I John 1:7b
…and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
4. Revelation 1:5b
…Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood.
C. Song; There is Power in the Blood
II. THERE ARE NO GENERICS
A. There is only one “name brand” medication that will cure the sickness of sin, the blood of Christ.
1. The blood of animals will not heal sin (Heb. 10:4).
For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats should take away sin.
2. The blood a man will not because it is not pure and without spot (Rom. 3:9).
What then? Are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin.
B. Only the blood of Jesus Christ will heal one from sin.
1. John 1:29
The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
2. I Peter 1:19
But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.
C. Song: What Can Wash Away My Sins?
III. THERE IS NO COST
A. Drugs that bring physical healing can be very expensive.
1. Acthan Gel $205,681 per year
2. Cinnyze $230,826 per year
3. Kalydeco $299,592 per year
4. Naglazyme $485,747 per year
5. Solinis $536,629 per year
B. The blood of Jesus Christ does not cost one dime. There is not one penny of out-of-pocket expense.
1. Romans 3:23-24
For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God; being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.
2. Revelation 22:17
And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth, say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him drink of the water of life freely.
C. Song: At Calvary, especially the chorus.
IV. IT IS ALWAYS AVAILABLE
A. Man-made medications are not always available. At the height of flu season, it may be hard to get antibiotics or Tamiflu.
B. The blood of Jesus Christ is always available.
1. It was available to the Jews on Pentecost Day (Acts 2:38).
2. It was available to the Samaritans (Acts 8:12).
3. It was available to the Ethiopian eunuch on the road that goes from Jerusalem to Gaza (Acts 8:36-39).
4. It was available to Saul in the city of Damascus (Acts 9:6; 22:16).
5. It was available to Cornelius and his family in Cesarea (Acts 10:47-48).
6. It was available to the Philippians jailor in the early hours of the morning (Acts 16:30-34).
C. Song: All Things Are Ready, Come to the Feast
V. WE MUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS
A. Every bottle of medicine comes with a set of instructions as to how to take the medication.
1. a.c. – before meals
2. bid – twice a day
3. od – once a day
4. prn – as needed
5. pc – after meals
6. qid – daily
7. qod – every other day
B. In order to receive the blood of Christ in our lives, we must follow the directions given by the Great Physician.
1. Jesus tells us three things that must be done for salvation from sins.
a. Believing in Him (John 8:24)
b. Repenting of sins (Luke 13:3)
c. Baptism (Mark 16:16)
2. Jesus shed his blood in His death (John 19:34). We contact His death in baptism (Rom. 6:3).
Know ye not that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death.
3. Two verses that speak of “the remission of sins.”
a. Matthew 26:28
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
b. Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
4. In the Revelation, the redeemed are pictured as having their robes washed in the blood of the Lamb (Rev. 7:14). Ananias told Paul: “And now why tarriest thou? Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord” (Acts 22:16).
C. Song: Wonderful Words of Life
A. After taking the proper medication, we are usually restored to our health.
B. In like manner, when we take the medication of Jesus’ blood, our souls will be healed of the disease and sickness of sin.
C. Song: There Is A Balm in Gilead